Moderator Announcement: SWEng-GameDev on Facebook & Google Plus!
Davis Sickmon
2013-09-12 06:19:36 UTC
Ahh, mailing lists - almost a thing of the past. I say almost, as there's still a number of them around, but the traffic levels slowly fall off as they've lost out to forums and social media.

Right now, SWEng-GameDev has 2099 members still, though the last posting on here was in March. It's not uncommon for this list to go a couple months without traffic (see the list archives for examples of that), but it's gotten quiet enough I've finally decided to do something I've been wanting to do for a while: create a Facebook group and a Google Plus community to bring it into a slightly more modern platform. Just to be clear: I'm not closing the list, just providing a new avenue for existing members to continue to enjoy the conversations as a part of other workflows :-)

Same rules apply for the Facebook / Google Plus group as on here - no spam, no flaming, semi-on topic posts, no beginning programming posts, etc. Basically, a semi-professional to professional discussion about software engineering.

Both groups are closed groups to help keep down the number of spammers, etc., and hopefully continue to have a good signal-to-noise ratio (I've already ran into some Facebook game dev groups that have become useless due to open join policies.) Just hit the group on your preferred social network (or both, if you're so inclined) and you'll be added within a day or so! :-)

So, the lists:

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/199062993608677/

Google - https://plus.google.com/communities/104167304358416136228

I'll probably repeat this message twice more - one in two or three weeks, and one in two or three weeks after that on. Beyond that, I'll just be adding it to the subscription page.

Hope to see you all on the new groups :-)

Davis Ray Sickmon, Jr
Midnight Ryder Technologies
List Administrator for a freakin' decade - wow this list is old (and that's just how long it's been on my server! ;-)
OvermindDL1
2013-09-12 06:24:08 UTC
I prefer mailing lists, but I will watch it close on G+ at least, never
touch Facebook. :-)
Post by Davis Sickmon
Ahh, mailing lists - almost a thing of the past. I say almost, as there's
still a number of them around, but the traffic levels slowly fall off as
they've lost out to forums and social media.
Right now, SWEng-GameDev has 2099 members still, though the last posting
on here was in March. It's not uncommon for this list to go a couple
months without traffic (see the list archives for examples of that), but
it's gotten quiet enough I've finally decided to do something I've been
wanting to do for a while: create a Facebook group and a Google Plus
community to bring it into a slightly more modern platform. Just to be
clear: I'm not closing the list, just providing a new avenue for existing
members to continue to enjoy the conversations as a part of other workflows
:-)
[...]
List Administrator for a freakin' decade - wow this list is old (and
that's just how long it's been on my server! ;-)
Davis Sickmon

2013-09-12 06:35:49 UTC
It's a pity that the community will now be fragmented.

I guess we could easily figure out how to cross post across the different
platforms, but any discussion off each of those posts would be limited to
the platforms they were done on.

Perhaps the best solution would be to have a service that scrapes
discussions from fb and g+ and posts them to the mailing list as a digest?

Kieran D'Archambaud
Lead Game Programmer
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited
http://eu.playstation.com

From: Davis Sickmon <***@midnightryder.com>
To: sweng-***@midnightryder.com
Date: 12/09/2013 07:29
Subject: Re: [Sweng-Gamedev] Moderator Announcement: SWEng-GameDev
on Facebook & Google Plus!
Sent by: sweng-gamedev-***@lists.midnightryder.com

On Sep 12, 2013 12:19 AM, "Davis Sickmon" <***@midnightryder.com>
wrote:
[...]

List Administrator for a freakin' decade - wow this list is old (and
that's just how long it's been on my server! ;-)

If you have received this email in error please notify ***@scee.net
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for
all known viruses.
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited
Registered Office: 10 Great Marlborough Street, London W1F 7LP, United
Kingdom
Registered in England: 3277793

Davis Sickmon
Alen Ladavac
Alen
James Robertson
2013-09-12 07:12:29 UTC
Yeah, I see this as fragmentation for little to no benefit.

I do use Facebook (but less and less these days) and haven't bothered with Google Plus. I certainly don't bother with groups on Facebook though simply because I have to actively go and log on to Facebook to see any activity (and Facebook doesn't show me everything, just what it thinks is important, which means I then have to go further and search for new topics myself), whereas mailing list posts (all of them) come straight to my inbox.

Anything which scrapes posts from Facebook or Google Plus would also have to post responses back to them as well, because I certainly wont bother following up on them.

If discussions start appearing on Facebook or Google Plus, then that'll more or less be the end of this mailing list (such as it is these days), and another great resource will wither and die.
http://eu.playstation.com <http://eu.playstation.com/>
Douglas Cox
2013-09-12 15:31:32 UTC
I guess this goes against keeping the mailing list, but was there another
reason people didn't want to move it to Google
Groups<https://groups.google.com>?
I usually prefer those just because it's easy when joining a new group to
browse and search the old posts. And setting up email notifications works
pretty well.

-Doug
Date: 12/09/2013 07:29
on Facebook & Google Plus!
Facebook - *https://www.facebook.com/groups/199062993608677/*<https://www.facebook.com/groups/199062993608677/>
Google - *https://plus.google.com/communities/104167304358416136228*<https://plus.google.com/communities/104167304358416136228>
I'll probably repeat this message twice more - one in two or three weeks,
and one in two or three weeks after that on. Beyond that, I'll just be
adding it to the subscription page.
Hope to see you all on the new groups :-)
Davis Ray Sickmon, Jr
Midnight Ryder Technologies
List Administrator for a freakin' decade - wow this list is old (and
that's just how long it's been on my server! ;-)
*
*
Massimo Del Zotto
2013-09-12 15:38:23 UTC
But if memory serves you cannot just reply to a group notification to have
it forwarded to the group. I think it happened to me in the past.
Anyway, I'm signing on g+, personally I think google groups is neither
modern nor legacy so I'm not quite on them. I'll keep following the mailing
list however.

Massimo
Date: 12/09/2013 07:29
[...]
List Administrator for a freakin' decade - wow this list is old (and
that's just how long it's been on my server! ;-)
*
*
addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify
Konstantin Mironovich
2013-09-12 22:21:20 UTC
Davis,
how about LinkedIn ?
It's for (semi)professionals, indeed.
sure, most of us have already registered there.
just make a new sweng group and I will be the first to knock into.

Konstantin

-km

wrote:

[...]

List Administrator for a freakin' decade - wow this list is old (and
that's just how long it's been on my server! ;-)

OvermindDL1
2013-09-13 00:25:16 UTC
No clue about linked in as I have not used it, but as long add I can get
everything by email and respond by email, like I can here, G+, or Google
groups then I am happy. Keeping it as it is would be best in my opinion,
it has the logs, it is known, etc...
**
Post by Davis Sickmon
[...]
List Administrator for a freakin' decade - wow this list is old (and
that's just how long it's been on my server! ;-)
Daniele Benegiamo
2013-10-14 23:23:55 UTC
+1 for the mailing list ;)
Post by OvermindDL1
[...]
List Administrator for a freakin' decade - wow this list is old (and
that's just how long it's been on my server! ;-)
Richard
2013-10-15 00:38:12 UTC
Post by Daniele Benegiamo
+1 for the mailing list ;)
+1 here too
The Computer Graphics Museum <http://computergraphicsmuseum.org>
Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>
Christian Severin
2013-10-15 06:45:58 UTC
Post by Richard
Post by Daniele Benegiamo
+1 for the mailing list ;)
+1 here too
another +1 for the mailing list
David Olofson
2013-10-15 07:39:03 UTC
On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 8:45 AM, Christian Severin
Post by Christian Severin
Post by Richard
Post by Daniele Benegiamo
+1 for the mailing list ;)
+1 here too
another +1 for the mailing list
Now that FB is becoming even more of an annoying, noisy spamfest with
massive privacy issues...

mailing_list++;
--
//David Olofson - Consultant, Developer, Artist, Open Source Advocate

.--- Games, examples, libraries, scripting, sound, music, graphics ---.
| http://consulting.olofson.net http://olofsonarcade.com |
'---------------------------------------------------------------------'
Jöran Omark
mailing_list++;
Aaryaman Vasishta
2013-10-15 08:13:42 UTC
+1 to mailing list
Post by Jöran Omark
Mailing list +1
Post by David Olofson
On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 8:45 AM, Christian Severin
Post by Daniele Benegiamo
+1 for the mailing list ;)
Ben Sunshine-Hill
2013-10-15 09:17:02 UTC
+1 to FidoNet forum.

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Aaryaman Vasishta <
Post by Aaryaman Vasishta
+1 to mailing list
Post by Jöran Omark
Mailing list +1
Post by David Olofson
On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 8:45 AM, Christian Severin
Post by Daniele Benegiamo
+1 for the mailing list ;)
Hendrik Renken
2013-10-15 12:37:06 UTC
+1 Mailing List
Post by Ben Sunshine-Hill
+1 to FidoNet forum.
+1 to mailing list
Mailing list +1
Cory Riddell
Rachid El Guerrab
2013-10-15 13:35:17 UTC
Hell no!

+1000 for mailing lists!

- Rachid
It would be more interesting to me to hear from anybody who wants this list to migrate to Facebook or Google Plus. Is anybody asking for that?
Post by Hendrik Renken
+1 Mailing List
Post by Ben Sunshine-Hill
+1 to FidoNet forum.
+1 to mailing list
Mailing list +1
Emmanuel Boutin
2013-10-15 14:24:55 UTC
+1 to mailing list

Thanks
Post by Rachid El Guerrab
Hell no!
+1000 for mailing lists!
- Rachid
It would be more interesting to me to hear from anybody who wants this list to migrate to Facebook or Google Plus. Is anybody asking for that?
Post by Hendrik Renken
+1 Mailing List
Post by Ben Sunshine-Hill
+1 to FidoNet forum.
+1 to mailing list
Mailing list +1
Hernan Saez
2013-10-15 15:01:16 UTC
+1 for mailing list.
Thanks
Post by Aaryaman Vasishta
+1 to mailing list
Thanks
Hell no!
+1000 for mailing lists!
- Rachid
It would be more interesting to me to hear from anybody who wants this
list to migrate to Facebook or Google Plus. Is anybody asking for that?
Post by Hendrik Renken
+1 Mailing List
OvermindDL1
2013-10-16 17:46:33 UTC
Even as a G+er, I still prefer mailing list.
Post by Hernan Saez
+1 for mailing list.
Thanks
Post by Aaryaman Vasishta
+1 to mailing list
Thanks
Hell no!
+1000 for mailing lists!
- Rachid
It would be more interesting to me to hear from anybody who wants this
list to migrate to Facebook or Google Plus. Is anybody asking for that?
Post by Hendrik Renken
+1 Mailing List